Ben Franklin Community Garden
Since 1929, the Ben Franklin Garden has been the jewel in the crown of the South Hills neighborhood. Established through an agreement between OBCDC and the Cleveland Board of Education, the CDC has been involved in the maintenance and development of this remarkable five-acre site for 30 years. It is one of the City’s earliest examples of the development and use of eco-friendly urban space.
The largest community garden in all of Cuyahoga County, The Garden has an impressive 204 plots with an average of 180 gardeners per year, including a sizeable youth garden. Located just a few miles south of downtown and south east of the Cleveland Metroparks Zoo, the Garden sits in the back part of Benjamin Franklin Elementary School, one of the City’s top-rated elementary schools. The Ohio State University Extension program and The City of Cleveland’s Summer Sprout Program assists both the youth and neighborhood gardeners with their crops each year by providing seeds, plants and other assistance.